- Physically Inactive Adults in Wales03 April 2017
Figures released today by the British Heart Foundation (BHF) indicate worrying levels of physical inactivity across the UK.
- Help us shape our well-being objectives24 February 2017
The Well-being of Future Generations (Wales) Act 2015 is an exciting and ambitious piece of legislation that is about improving the social, economic, environmental, and cultural well-being of Wales.
- The Day the River Raged13 February 2017
Staff at Sport Wales are preparing to give some very different TLC to one of their neighbours - the River Taff.
- Find your inspiration24 January 2017
Having a sporting inspiration or role model can really help to keep you on track with your fitness goals.
- Steroid abuse risking the health of a generation18 January 2017
Minister for Social Services and Public Health, Rebecca Evans, will today speak out about a culture of image and performance enhancing drug (IPED) misuse that is threatening to damage the health of a generation.
- Blue Monday? It doesn't have to be16 January 2017
Coed Lleol aims to ‘reconnect people and woodlands in Wales’ and through their Actif Woods programme, people with a whole host of health conditions have been getting fit outdoors on a regular basis…even through the Winter!
- Gearing Up For Gotland05 January 2017
2017 will be a busy one for one small island off the coast of North West Wales. Here we take a look at the competition that Anglesey sportsmen and women are busy preparing for …
- Fitness, fundraising and festive fun29 December 2016
Men, women and children across Wales are proving that exercise and festive cheer go hand-in-hand.
- THE CLASS OF 2016 – TOP COMMUNITY COACHES AND VOLUNTEERS MAKE FINAL LINE-UP28 November 2016
Fifteen heroes of grassroots sport in Wales have been selected to contest the Wales Sport Awards 2016.
- BBC WALES AND SPORT WALES START SEARCH FOR GRASSROOTS SPORTING HEROES20 September 2016
After the stars of Welsh sport celebrated success at the Euros and in Rio this summer, it is now the turn of Wales' finest sporting volunteers to step into the limelight.
- Homecoming event for Welsh Olympic and Paralympic heroes announced19 September 2016
Welsh competitors and medallists who took part in the Rio Olympic and Paralympic games will be welcomed home by the National Assembly’s Llywydd, Elin Jones and First Minister for Wales, Carwyn Jones, on Thursday 29 September.
- Paralympic Partnership Key In Medal Success18 September 2016
A combination of strong elite partnerships and world class athlete support has resulted in another successful Paralympic Games for Welsh athletes at Rio 2016.
- WALES SPORT AWARDS CELEBRATES 2016 SUCCESSES 15 September 2016
In recognition of an unprecedented year for Welsh sport, it has been confirmed today that the 2016 Wales Sport Awards will take place on December 5 in Hoddinott Hall at the Wales Millennium Centre in Cardiff.
- Paralympic Assignment for Sport Wales staff05 September 2016
Sport Wales staff will play a key role in supporting the body and minds of British Paralympians in their bid for medals in Rio.
- Welsh Paralympians hope to maintain medal success05 September 2016
A mix of World and European champions, along with first-time Paralympians, will be aiming to keep up a proud history of elite success for Welsh disabled athletes at the Paralympic Games in Rio.
- ‘Team’ Blueprint Key for Future Games Success21 August 2016
The strong elite partnerships across Wales and the UK have given Welsh athletes the platform to bring home a record Olympic Games medal haul, says Sport Wales Chief Exective Sarah Powell.
- Sian Set for Sailing in Rio20 July 2016
While she won’t get out on the water, Sian Knott will be playing her own vital part in helping Team GB’s sailors onto the podium in Rio.
- Record Welsh representation for overseas Olympic Games20 July 2016
Wales will have a record representation of athletes for an overseas Olympic Games and another chance to celebrate the breadth of Welsh elite talent, according to Sport Wales chief executive Sarah Powell.
- Sport Wales Welcome Public Health Recognition for Increased Activity Levels13 July 2016
Sport Wales Chair Dr Paul Thomas has welcomed the findings within the Public Health Wales, Making a Difference report,
- Wales' performance in the Euros inspires a nation08 July 2016
It’s official – The Football Association Wales’ (FAW) Together Stronger hashtag has become a reality. Nine in 10 (91%*) people in Wales believe Wales’ performance in the Euros has brought our nation closer together, according to a survey conducted by Sport Wales.
- Grow the Game 06 July 2016
10 Ways You Can Get Involved in Football in Wales
- Awen’s path to honours through Gemau Cymru29 June 2016
After starting at the back, Awen Lewis is leading from the front when it comes to triathlon.
- Build-up to Rio Starts in Cardiff 27 June 2016
Exactly five weeks before the Olympic Games kick-off in Rio, Wales will be hosting its own mini version in Cardiff for the best young athletes in Wales.
- 50 Reasons to be Proud of Welsh Sport15 June 2016
It’s 50 days to go until Rio 2016 – and there’s the small matter of a football game in France – so here’s our take on 50 reasons to be proud.
- Laying Your Career on the Table08 June 2016
Travelling to a competition in the Maldives wasn’t quite what Simon Oyler expected when he first volunteered as a table tennis coach.
- New website to support Sports Volunteers in Wales06 June 2016
A new website to help volunteers in Wales start-up, grow and improve their sport club has been launched as part of national Volunteers’ Week (June 1st-12th).
- 3 to 300,00031 May 2016
A three-point plan to help Wales increase the number of volunteers in sport to 300,000 by 2019 has been announced to mark national Volunteers’ Week (1st – 12th June).
- Rowe’s 20 Year Road to the Euros23 May 2016
Nearly twenty years after first climbing into the Wales team dugout, Dave Rowe will live the dream with thousands of other Welsh fans in France next month.
- NEW BLUEPRINT LAUNCHED FOR FUTURE-FIT SPORTS FACILITIES IN WALES01 April 2016
Sport Wales, in partnership with Welsh Government, has launched a new Blueprint for creating modern, fit-for-purpose, inclusive and sustainable facilities for sport and active recreation across Wales.
- Case Study - Glyn Ceiriog RFC - Grounds Maintenance15 March 2016
Launched in 2007 and based at the village primary school, Glyn Ceiriog RFC was struggling to find an adequate pitch.
- £55,000 Welsh Government funding to secure Gemau Cymru 201610 March 2016
The Deputy Minister for Culture, Sport and Tourism, Ken Skates has announced £55,000 Welsh Government funding to support this year’s Gemau Cymru.
- Leading Welsh Sport Women call for Media Equality07 March 2016
A group including some of the most prominent female figures in Welsh sport are supporting calls for greater media coverage of female sport.
- Golf has given me my life back02 March 2016
Sport is helping James in his rehab after a stroke. Here’s his story.
- Case Study - Montgomery Lawn Tennis Club29 February 2016
Montgomery Lawn Tennis Club has seen the light through their winter darkness problem and boosted membership. Read how they did it.
- Adventure – an inspiration for an active outdoor life24 February 2016
Year of Adventure Ambassador Lowri Morgan will join Natural Resources Wales, Sport Wales and Visit Wales for a conference looking at how to inspire more people to get hooked on the outdoors - for life.
- Case Study - Bryncoch RFC23 February 2016
Several teams pulling together to improve the quality of their pitch means more play in Bryncoch.
- Improved Lifestyle, Improved Life - Kerry Pillai22 February 2016
"When you strive for good health, everything else falls into place. You feel fitter, you have more energy and confidence..."
- Wales is becoming more active: Official survey reveals over 1million want to do more sport in Wales16 February 2016
Sport Wales’ latest Active Adults survey shows the potential to get more adults hooked on sport and volunteering while figures of those already hooked buck the trend seen across the UK
- 30 Years of Active Adults11 February 2016
The chance to take a DeLorean ride back to sport and exercise in the mid-eighties would no doubt bring a sharp gasp from today’s younger generation.
- Case Study - Ely Miners Welfare Association10 February 2016
Today the Ely Valley Community Football Centre is a busy hub in the south Wales valley town of Tonyrefail.
- New research institute aims for top performance for Welsh sport02 February 2016
A new research institute, which combines expertise from Sport Wales, academia and industry, is to focus on further enhancing the performance of Welsh athletes, while at the same time supporting Welsh business and ensuring the research of Welsh academics is having the greatest potential impact.
- Better Health, Better Mind22 January 2016
"I was in a fog of post natal depression and didn't know how to help myself. Running proved to be the answer..."
- DAN BIGGAR AND WALES FOOTBALL SHINE AT THE WALES SPORT AWARDS07 December 2015
Wales rugby and Ospreys star Dan Biggar was named the BBC Wales Sports Personality of the Year for 2015 at the Wales Sport Awards this evening.
- Sport Wales welcomes new WAO leisure services report 03 December 2015
As the Wales Audit Office launches its new report into leisure services and facilities across Wales, Sport Wales welcomes recommendations to consider the long term impact of sport facility closures on the future health and well-being of the population.
- £296,000 Sport Wales grant for Carmarthen Velodrome30 November 2015
Statement following the approval of the Carmarthenshire County Council Executive Board to support the Carmarthen Velodrome regeneration project.
- PIONEERING STUDY GIVES INSIGHT INTO SPORT & PHYSICAL ACTIVITY LEVELS AMONG YOUNG PEOPLE17 November 2015
Almost half (49%) of college students are hooked on sport according to Sport Wales’ first official* survey of Further Education institutions in Wales.
- Sport Wales unveils new Elite Sport Strategy 16 October 2015
Identifying and nurturing the nation’s best young talent more than a decade before potential medal success is at the core of a new Elite Sport Strategy for Wales.
- NUMBERS OF WELSH SCHOOL CHILDREN HOOKED ON SPORT HITS NEW HIGHS14 October 2015
Almost half of children in Wales (48%) are participating in sport three or more times a week according to the third official School Sport Survey*, launched today by Sport Wales.
- Sport Wales to tackle barriers to making sport more inclusive22 September 2015
Sport Wales launches new research which shows people from Black and other Ethnic Minority (BME) communities still face barriers to participating in sport
- From Athlete to Coach: How Nathan Stephens is making a mark from the sidelines09 September 2015
Even after a successful career in elite sport, it’s still the back pages that drive former world champion Nathan Stephens.
- New appointment to tell compelling story of Welsh sport17 August 2015
Sport Wales has appointed Andrew Weeks to take on the role of Communications Director as the organisation looks to tell the compelling story of sport in Wales.
- New role strengthens link between health and physical activity07 August 2015
Public Health Wales, Welsh Government and Sport Wales have jointly appointed a new programme director for health and physical activity.
- Welsh Talent for Team GB 24 July 2015
Four Welsh athletes will head to Tblisi this week to represent Team GB at the European Youth Olympic Festival.
- Transforming Lives Through the Power Of Sport23 July 2015
Ken Skates, Deputy Sport Minister, and Lesley Griffiths, Minister for Communities and Tackling Poverty, attended a briefing about a unique partnership aimed at improving the lives of disabled people at the Royal Alexandra in Rhyl on 22nd July.
- New appointment to grow community sport in Wales08 July 2015
Sport Wales has appointed Helen Bushell to take on the role of Community Sport Director.
- New Children’s Commissioner Backs School Sport Survey07 July 2015
The new Children’s Commissioner for Wales has called on schools to embrace the national School Sport Survey as an aid to make lasting health and well-being changes for young people.
- Ref Owens Marks Sporting Equality Event02 July 2015
International referee Nigel Owens hailed the work in Wales to make sport equal as the Webb Ellis Cup visited Sport Wales for a special tournament.
- Multi-sport event inspired by Olympics held in Cardiff30 June 2015
Gemau Cymru, the multi-sport event for Wales’ best young athletes, will be held this weekend (3 – 5 July) in Cardiff’s best sport locations.
- Sport Wales welcomes acceptance of Successful Futures recommendations30 June 2015
Sarah Powell, Sport Wales Chief Executive, said:
“We welcome the Welsh Government’s announcement today to accept all of the recommendations of Professor Donaldson’s review of the Curriculum in Wales
- Let the Outdoors Move You25 June 2015
The splendour of Erddig’s estate will be the perfect backdrop for the launch of our new partnership with the National Trust - ‘Let the Outdoors Move You’ - on Friday 26 June.