About Free Swimming
Free swimming plays a key role in the Welsh Government's
strategy to enable children and adults to become more active.
- Swimming is a life skill and does save lives
- Swimming is accessible for some people for whom other forms of
physical activity are difficult - those with mobility problems for
example and those who want low impact exercise
- Swimming encompasses a wide range of activity including, fun
sessions, aquafit, water circuits, synchro, water polo, as well as
swimming lessons and length swimming
- Individuals can swim alone or through informal or organised
- Families can swim together
- Swimming is an activity for all ages
- Swimming is a gateway to all aquatic sports rowing, surfing,
sailing, scuba diving etc
- Swimming clubs and other organised groups offer volunteering
and career/personal development opportunities
But don't just take our word for it:
"Swimming is excellent for providing all-round fitness because
it tones your entire body and gets the heart rate pumping.
It is a sport that is accessible to people of all ages and -
whether you do it for fun or competitively - the benefits are huge.
There are so many excellent facilities around every local authority
in Wales so I would encourage everyone, young and old, to take
advantage of Free Swimming and get in."
David Davies - Olympic bronze medallist, Athens 2004,